List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] More on su
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2003-04-28 3:27:38

I got the "need to add users to 'wheel'" on my own, but have a couple of
further problems su'ing to root.

1) After changing to root, only a subset of root's usual $PATH is available.
Probably either a flag I need to add to su or a different dotfile to set the
path but I couldn't figure it out.

2) I am unable to launch X apps after su'ing to root (Can't connect to
display error), although launching a root session from kdm works fine.
Curiously, I only have this problem when running kdm -- when I use gdm it
works normally. (Obviously, using gdm would be one solution, but I prefer
kdm, and would like to know the cause in any case.)

Any suggestions?