List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is not fun when...
From:       Matt Tucker <tuck () whistlingfish ! net>
Date:       2002-12-16 15:59:56

-- Greg <geflatt@hfx.eastlink.ca> spake thusly:

> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 06:47, Sami Näätänen wrote:
>> On Friday 13 December 2002 12:33, Henti Smith wrote:

> What would be nice is if portage knew which files I edited. Protected
> them and autoupdate the ones that haven't been changed.

I've also thinking a good feature would be to have portage attempt a
merge on the ones you have edited, much like cvs will do. This would
simply require keeping around a copy of the previously installed config
file to generate a diff (having version control in /etc would suffice,
but is overkill for this task). Anything that merged cleanly wouldn't
have to be touched by the user, and anything that didn't could be
handled the way it currently is.