List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] maybe I am not ready for Gentoo
From:       Roger Miliker <roger_miliker () gmx ! at>
Date:       2002-12-13 16:08:26

On Friday 13 December 2002 16:20, sds@webpipe.net wrote:
> I have studied Gentoo, Slackware, and Debian because I want to try
> something besides Red Hat.  I am trying to learn more of the "lingo" here
> by reading forums and lists, and I subscribed to this list, but after
> reading the messages for a couple of days, I have found that I understood
> very, very little of what you all are talking about!

Don't worry about all the topics on the list. There seem to be a lot of
Professionals on the list, which is actually a very good thing.

> If I can survive the initial install, should Gentoo be downhill from there?

Yes, but you will do some 'uphill' reading docs, before the downhill ;-).
You will learn a lot, doing things 'by hand'.

> It seems that the install is everyone's crisis, but I am curious if there
> are more troubles to come afterward that I may not be ready for.  I know I
> have to jump in and experience these things to learn them, but I am maybe
> being a little TOO careful about choosing my next distro.
>
> Any thoughts?

You will find the forums, mailinglist and especially the irc channel very
helpful, if problems arise. I often got simple answers for my problems
within a few seconds (!) on the irc channel.

Give it a try! I bet you won't regret it.

Good Luck

Roger