List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    RE: [gentoo-user] DMZ?I have a small machine sitting here (P75, 32mb ram, no system clock, =500mb hd
From:       "Aurelien Reynaud" <Aurelien.Reynaud () AtosOrigin ! com>
Date:       2002-12-13 10:28:53

> I have a small machine sitting here (P75, 32mb ram, no system clock,
> 500mb hdd) and im wondering about running it as a DMZ firewall server
> thingy. When i say no system clock, its battery is dead, and i cant get
> a working one. I know i can use clock.org or an internal system for
> updating the time, so i know thats not a major problem. My question is
> what would i requeire for it? Do i need 3 network cards? (one internal,
> one internet and one to the DMZ?) Would a P75 be powerfull enough? Could
> i use ISA cards? Could i set it up so i can get an email if internal
> server dies and maybe the port is forwarded to a different site? e.g, if
> my server dies, i forward all port 80 traffic to my ISP's homepage site,
> where i have a page saying "Sorry, my site is dead. come back later?"
> and also send me an email telling me theres a problem?
> And finally, what configuration would i require?

I have the exact same config (P75/32Mb/500HDD). It is powerfull enough to
run Gentoo and acts as a firewall, mail server, SSH server and dns server
for my home network without a glitch. No DMZ really, but it uses a wireless
USB NIC and an Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL modem plugged into a PCI usb adapter.
I even have an old ISA 3com NIC to backup the wireless link (just in case).
I sometimes use the 3 NICs simultaneously for debugging purposes and never
had a problem.

I also use ntpdate via crontab to sync the old drifting clock to a public
time server.

One caveat: too little hdd space and raw power to compile anything. So I
compile on my larger box, and rsync the changes via ssh. Works like a charm!

Hope it helped...

Aurelien