List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] XFree 4.2.1 and nvidia chipset lockups
From:       Shane Wright <me () shanewright ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-10-28 17:01:02

Hi

I have the Asus GF4 Ti4400 as well - upgraded to XFree 4.2.1 the other day, no
lockups as yet (although I am having that problem with itlaic text going
diagonally upwards...)

Only single VGA monitor though - maybe thats where your problem is?

UT2003 I'm sure is a little slower than with 4.2.0 but that could just be
me...

Regards

Shane

On Friday 25 October 2002 3:21 pm, Chris van der Pennen wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:33 pm, Tom Syroid wrote:
> > Neither have I.
> >
> > NVidia mobile (Dell Inspiron 8000), 32M
> > XFree 4.2.1
> > Gentoo 2.4.19-r10 kernel with prempt and APM enabled
> > KDE-CVS (3.1-pre)
> > NVidia drivers: 1.0.3123
> >
> > 1. Double-check your XF86Config file for any errors
>
> Doesn't look like it.
>
> > 2. Try re-emerging/emerging the latest nvidia drivers
>
> Done.
>
> > 3. Try re-emerging XFree
>
> Done.  Why would this help, anyway?
>
> None of them worked.
>
> I have an asus GF4 ti4400, on kernel 2.4.19-r7 (I can't use any more recent
> than that, see recent post regarding USB issues on VT8237) with APM, ACPI
> and preempt.  No low-latency.
>
> I've gone back to xfree 4.2.0, problem hasn't shown up again.
>
> A note on my XF86Config file:  My chipset seems to feel that I have a TFT
> hooked up over DVI, and I had to configure nvidia's twinview to tell it
> that no, I have 2 (!) CRT's hooked up and to clone the displays to get it
> to work. I'll try removing that in the morning.  Hopefully that will help.
> I'll keep you posted.
>
> Chris

- --
Shane