List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Jabber server problems
From:       Chris Freeze <cfreeze () alumni ! clemson ! edu>
Date:       2002-10-18 23:42:25

On 18-Oct-2002 Burton Samograd wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:41:00PM -0500, Chris Freeze wrote:
>> At first I emerged the Gentoo ebuild of net-im/jabber-server, moved my
>> jabber.xml file over, and then modified the paths in the cfg file to point
>> the new directories.  When I brought the server back up, ICQ, AIM, and JUD
>> seem
>> to work, but MSN and Yahoo! no longer worked.  (I've even tried the new 2.1
>> release of the Yahoo! jabber transport to no avail.)
>
> I was using the jabber server for AIM (ICQ) and MSM and while ago and
> ran into some problems which wasted a bunch of my time.  After
> thinking it was a firewall problem (it wasn't) I figured that it was
> the MSM transport that was no longer working, since it hasn't actively
> been developed for a couple of years.  My solution was to just give up
> on jabber (my g/f uses MSM exclusively, so I had to have it) and
> installed centericq, which works like a charm.
>
> Not much help, but I would reccomend either giving up on jabber or
> going down and updating the MSM transport if you have the time and
> coding skills.

I've finally worked the problem out.  It turns out the latest version of pth
totally hoses jabber.  I've copied the last few maintainers of the package on
this email.  I've found a patch that will fix the configure script to include
and use the jabberd/pth-1.4.0 that is already included in the tar ball.  If
someone will point me to the right person, I'll be happy to email it for the
bug fix.

--
Regards,

Chris