List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] bootstrap.sh overwrites make.conf
From:       Paul de Vrieze <gentoo-user () devrieze ! net>
Date:       2002-10-07 9:01:16

On Sunday 06 October 2002 23:34, Mike Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 22:52, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > Quick follow-up, as Mike said, after bootstrap.sh, my USE and such were
> > all back where I'd put them.  Might be worth a note in the install docs?
> > Not sure, however, if the newcomer would be looking at his
> > /etc/make.conf while it's bootstrapping, that's probably only anal sorts
> > like myself who even know about it.  :)
>
> It's only a problem if the bootstrap does fail, or gets cancelled mid
> compile, and you don't remember/know about make.conf.build.
> Wouldn't it be better for the bootstrap (during the first gcc compile)
> to ignore make.conf, and just use the default values?

bootstrap.sh is just a script that does some emerging for you. Emerge uses
make.conf, so changing that is the only way to go. A script
continue-bootstrap could be useful though, so that people don't need to
restart the whole bootstrap in case something goes wrong.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Junior Researcher