List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    [gentoo-user] emerge world not working?
From:       Tyler Lund <tlund () springboardhosting ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 15:23:28

Hello all,

I've recently taken the dive into gentoo, and really liking it.
However, I'm having a problem with portage. I'm not sure if I'm doing
something wrong, or if I have a misunderstanding of how this is supposed
to work, but in looking through the documentation on the gentoo.org site
this seems to be incorrect behavior.

"emerge -u world" does not seem to work for me. The are updates to
packages in my /var/cache/edb/world file, but portage doesn't seem to
want to update them. For example, searching for these packages for
version info:

*  dev-libs/mm
      Latest version Available: 1.1.3-r1
      Latest version Installed: 1.2.1
      Homepage: http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/mm/
      Shared Memory Abstraction Library

But issuing a "emerge -pu world" returns only this:

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] sys-libs/pam-0.75-r7 to /

This is only an example. I seem to have a chronic problem with portage
not seeing updates to packages I have in my world file. What am I doing
wrong? dev-libs/mm is listed in /var/cache/edb/world.

Thanks!

-Tyler