List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] problem with bind/named
From:       Troy Dack <troy () tkdack ! com>
Date:       2002-07-31 13:21:16

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 21:16, Henti Smith wrote:
> I emerge bind and installed it ... everything seems so far .. so good ..
> I edited the conf files .. setup as a chaching server
> then I /etc/init.d/named start
> to test ... ps showed no named runing ...
> so I tried to check what wen wrong ..
> when I try to stop the service .. it says it's still running ..
> status says it's running .. but still no binary ..
> I can't see any log since I use metalog .. and have not set to realtime logging
> going to do that now ..
>
> any suggestions ?

Don't start it from the init scripts, start it stand alone with as much
debuging as possible turned on and see what errors it spits out.

Check the man pages, there is probably a command line switch that will
stop named automatically backgrounding as well.

Also check www.isc.org, look for the BIND Administrators Manual, lots of
good stuff in there.

--
	Troy Dack
	http://linuxserver.tkdack.com		http://gentoo.tkdack.com

"You can't survive by sucking the juice from a wet mitten."
		-- Charles Schulz, "Things I've Had to Learn Over and
		   Over and Over"