List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] Mozilla, TrueType fonts and Xft...
From:       Martin Schlemmer <azarah () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-06-18 20:59:13

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 21:46, Timothy Grant wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 12:33, Timothy Grant wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 12:12, logic wrote:
> [> >
> > > pref("font.Freetype2.enable", true);
> >
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to get decent AA suppport in Moz?
>
> Now that Leon so kindly put me on the right track, I've played a bit
> more with the freetype settings. I found that I got even slightly better
> results by leaving freetype enabled, but turning off the freetype
> auto-hinting.

*sigh*.  Problem with most things, is that you can never please
everybody.  I have enabled the AA stuff in Moz, but as there is
limited docs, and so on, I also enabled auto-hinting.  Thanks for
this bit of info, Ill fix our ebuild ;-)

Then on another note.  The reason the redhat rpms have better quality,
is becuase they build it static against a CVS version of XFree86 with
the Blizzard Xft patches.  As we build from source, and well, the
CVS Xfree is just that, CVS, we have a problem using the Blizzard
patches.  Mark my word however, as soon as I can get a stable CVS
ebuild, or as soon as XFree-4.3.0 comes out, Ill fix this :)

Greetings,

--

Martin Schlemmer
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer