List:       gentoo-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-user] KDE problems
From:       Dan Armak <danarmak () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2001-11-19 20:12:22

On Monday 19 November 2001 17:44, you wrote:
> Here is an odd followup to the below problem:
> > Ok, yesterday, I upgraded to qt-2.3.2, and then immediately began
> > emerging KDE again. Everything worked smoothly for about 24 hours, and
> > now I have kdelibs, kde-env, kdebase, kdenetwork,  etc all successfully
> > emerged, __EXCEPT__ kdeartwork, which is stuck on a line that says:
> >
> > /bin/sh:
> > /var/tmp/portage/kdeartwork-2.2.1-r1/image//usr/share/apps/kthememgr/Them
> >es/Eclipse.ktheme: No such file or directory
> >
> > And yes, the double // is there in the error. I don't know if it should
> > be or not or if it causes problems or not.
It doesn't. Can't. You can have as many slashes one after another as you want
and they won't change a thing. The double slash here is because of path
concatenation -
var/tmp/portage/kdeartwork-2.2.1-r1/image/ + /usr/share/apps/kthememgr/Themes/

> I didn't mention, but after this error the merge process just stopped.
> It didn't return to the command prompt.
I know - had the same error. It was a while ago, then it disappeared (not
fixed? can't remember). At least it certainly has nothing to do with the
multi-kdelibs stuff. I have an awful lot of things on my head, I'll try to
solve asap=maybe tomorrow, maybe not. Sorry :-(. Anyone remember how this
problem was solved?

> So I killed it, and tried to
> emerge KDE (from the beginning), AGAIN. This time, it picked you from
> kdeutils, which had me confused, because I thought it had been merging
> kdeartwork before...
Portage can (sometimes) be non-deterministic in determining the order of deps
to be merged; don't pay it any mind.

> So I opened up another console and tried to emerge kdeartwork
> specifically, about 3 times. Each time I got the same error as above. So
> I finally tried the following:
>
> # ebuild /usr/portage/kde-base/kdeartwork/kdeartwork-2.2.1-r1.ebuild
> install
>
> # ebuild /usr/portage/kde-base/kdeartwork/kdeartwork-2.2.1-r1.ebuild
> merge
>
> For some reason, THIS Worked. I'm not sure if kdeartwork depends on
> other packages that hadn't been merged yet or what, but I should mention
> that the rest of the KDE merge was/is going along fine in another
> console. So maybe the dependancy order is wrong, maybe this was just
> another hickup. I don't know and I'm confused.
Interesting; I'll investigate. Sorry about all the trouble!

--

Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team