List:       gentoo-sparc-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc-dev] new /usr/portage/profiles/default-sparc64-1.4/packages
From:       Jack Morgan <jmorgan () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2002-12-20 12:08:12

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 06:39:09PM +0100, Christian Birchinger wrote:
> I've noticed that theres a new base packages file which requires
> glibc 2.3.1. I think this is a bad idea for 2 reasons. The
> first one is, that 2.3.1 is still only "~sparc" and people who
> use the stable "sparc" keyword cannot emerge any package now
> because everything needs virtual/glibc.
> The second and more important thing is that people should not be
> forced into 2.3.1. There is no way to override this requerement
> if it's hardcoded into "packages".

Well looks like his is going to be a 1.4 release thing as all 4 archs
have keyworded as stable.

> Please think about using >=2.2.5-r7 again. Even if you change
> 2.3.1 from "~sparc" to "sparc" later so people can lock the

Well looks like this will be good for sparc32 profile, eg
default-sparc-1.4. Anyone else have a comment?

> The second minor thing is the addition of nvi. Why do users need
> to get forced into it? People complain about not having "vi" on
> the bootcd and not when it's all installed. They can pick
> whatever they want once the system is ready. And people who want
> that app emerge it. Most linux vi users use "vim" and having nvi
> installed is only another unneeded binary. So if you want to
> force people into vi think about using somethinh like virtual/vi.

Seemant basically said NO to this until after 1.4 release. We will
bring up this again afterwards :)

Cheers,

--
Jack Morgan