List:       gentoo-sparc-dev
Subject:    new /usr/portage/profiles/default-sparc64-1.4/packages
From:       Christian Birchinger <joker () netswarm ! net>
Date:       2002-12-15 17:39:09

Hello...
I've noticed that theres a new base packages file which requires
glibc 2.3.1. I think this is a bad idea for 2 reasons. The
first one is, that 2.3.1 is still only "~sparc" and people who
use the stable "sparc" keyword cannot emerge any package now
because everything needs virtual/glibc.
The second and more important thing is that people should not be
forced into 2.3.1. There is no way to override this requerement
if it's hardcoded into "packages".
Please think about using >=2.2.5-r7 again. Even if you change
2.3.1 from "~sparc" to "sparc" later so people can lock the
version i their world files. This would still make 2.3.1
default but people (like me) could avoid that evil version.

The second minor thing is the addition of nvi. Why do users need
to get forced into it? People complain about not having "vi" on
the bootcd and not when it's all installed. They can pick
whatever they want once the system is ready. And people who want
that app emerge it. Most linux vi users use "vim" and having nvi
installed is only another unneeded binary. So if you want to
force people into vi think about using somethinh like virtual/vi.

--
CU, Christian