List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] 32 bit or 64 bit ELF on UltraSparc IIi?
From:       "Jason Wever" <weeve3 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-26 13:15:56

> My CHOST is "sparc-unknown-linux-gnu", but apparently I'm not meant to
> change this to sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu?

This is correct.  While there is a sparc64-unknown-linux-gnu setup
floating around, it is strictly for compiling the kernel.  Also, there
are some ebuilds (like glibc) that may depend on
sparc-unknown-linux-gnu existing or they will fail.

As for why userland is 32 bits, take a look at the whole thread on
this topic from the sparclinux mailing list archives[1].  While it is
a bit dated, I believe the information is still relevant.

[1] - http://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=99706001104013&w=2

Cheers,
--
Jason Wever