List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] 64-bit gentoo-sparc, how to make it happen?
From:       张韡武 <zhangweiwu () realss ! com>
Date:       2006-06-26 1:34:01

在 2006-06-25日的 23:20 +0200,Javier O. Augusto写道:
> [..]
> >
> > Ah, I get a good idea (good in sense of a newbie) If most of userland is
> > 32bit on solaris too, the *some* applications in 64 bit are there
> > perhaps because they perform better in 64-bit. If gimp-print/gutenprint
> > package on solaris is 64-bit, that might shows Sun people think it can
> > be in 64-bit mode. Sadly I cannot google out the package filename for
> > gimp-print on solaris, usually in Linux binary package name often
> > indicate if it is 32-bit or 64-bit
> > (e.g. /suse/x86_64/libgimpprint-4.2.7-62.x86_64.rpm)
>
> You can try installing Solaris 10 Community Release (SXCR) on your box, then  go \
> after GCC-4.1 from Sun Downloads. This includes SPARC optimizations out of the box. \
> Don't forget to read GCC docs about compiling on SPARC for better understanding \
> flags differences. For compiling, install automake autogen gmake gmk4 autoconf from \
> blastwave.org thru `pkg-get`. In your environment, set this flags before start \
> `./configure`ing :
> --
> PATH=/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/opt/onbld/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:\
>
> /usr/sfw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/enlightenment/bin:/opt/csw/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/openwin/bin \
> :/usr/ccs/bin
> CC=/opt/gcc/bin/gcc
>
> CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/sfw/include -I/opt/csw/include -m32 \
> -mcpu=ultrasparc -mtune=ultrasparc -O2'  <- safe mode
>
> LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/sfw/lib -L/opt/csw/lib -R/usr/local/lib \
> -R/usr/sfw/lib -R/opt/csw/lib'
> alias tar='gtar'
>
> alias make='gmake'
> --
>
> Don't forget to share your results.
>
> Hope this helps.. Good luck.

Thank you! I would like to try it on July when I got more free time.
Besides, now I am thinking people's suggestions are making good sense,
probably it's right the print servre would not be faster after upgraded
to 64-bit, because I took a glance into gutenprint source, the very part
of eventone dithering (which from my limited knowledge is what computer
busy doing for the printer) is about 700 lines of C source code, most
variables are defined integer, which seems would not benifit from 64-bit
processing. I would like to try 64-bit anyway.

Thank you for all the help.