List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    RE: [gentoo-sparc] PHP crashing...
From:       "Leif Sawyer" <lsawyer () gci ! com>
Date:       2006-03-16 19:09:32

Gustavo Zacarias, in a couple of messages wrote:
> In theory you can use hardened without a profile, but it's
> usually tricky. In the SPARC case last time we tried it
> required the "boundschecking" USE flag on (gcc uses it so you
> need to rebuild).
> /--------/
> Hello, "boundschecking", hello... you are not reading the
> thread in its complete form...
> /--------/

You know, it wasn't clear to me before, but having just gone
through the rebuild, it's now clear:

__gcc__  requires a rebuild with boundschecking.

Sorry if I've mitched and boaned trying to get this to work.

Anyhow, I updated /etc/make.conf with boundschecking as hardened
already existed, and re-ran:

     emerge --newuse glibc

which rebuild gcc and glibc in a nice pair.

So I've successfully build glibc 3.4.5.  Phew!

I've only I'd figured out earlier about the gcc rebuild.. D'oh!

Thanks again.

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]