List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] LVM on sparc?
From:       Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6 () egr ! msu ! edu>
Date:       2006-02-21 21:29:30

Well if you have hardware raid you have to RAID first anyway, otherwise
you can do it in either order...However, I'd probably do RAID first,
then LVM, as software raiding a bunch of virtual partitions probably
takes a ton of processing power than LVM over software RAID.

As for details...There are plenty of guides for software raid out there.
  Get that set up, you should have some /dev/md devices afterwards.
Then just use the LVM tools to slice up the raid devices instead of the
"actual" devices.  IE give the LVM tools /dev/mdX instead of /dev/sdX.
Then make sure you are mounting things properly ;)

-Alec Warner