List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    [gentoo-sparc] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r4 + sparc + kernel-2.4.xx + 'kbd' keyboard driver
From:       Ferris McCormick <fmccor () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-12-08 18:39:50

I am writing this as a note before turning it into a bug report because
the problem looks like a problem someone might look at and say "Of
course, you dummy, do this!"

I misspoke slightly yesterday when I said the 'kbd' driver shifted keys
as always.  It shifts keys ('a' -> 's', etc) if the keysymbols are
defined as sun/us(type5).  Otherwise, the living keys seem OK, but there
are a lot of dead ones --- 'k', 'l', 'z'. 'x', ....

With the deprecated driver, everything is fine with or without the
keysymbols definition, so for now on, assume a Keyboard like this:
   Option      "Protocol"    "Standard"
   Option      "XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
   Option      "XkbModel"    "type5"
   Option      "XkbRules"    "sun"
   Option      "XkbLayout"   "en_US"
   Option      "XkbTypes"    "types/complete"
   Option      "XkbCompat"   "compat/complete"
   Option      "XkbGeometry" "sun(type5unix)"

This works with the deprecated driver, but as I said before, there are a
lot of dead keys with the 'kbd' driver.

Now, let's set up an experiment:  We make a (new) Keyboard map, call it
  Option       "XkbKeymap"     "sun/us(type5_Unix)"
which looks a lot like sun/us(type5_unix) except we can play with it.
In fact, we can make it look exactly like the above set of options if we
like.

If we do that, behavior should remain the same, and indeed with 'kbd' it
does.  With the deprecated 'keyboard', however, things change:  No
matter how we define the Keymap, 'keyboard' and 'kbd' are identical (and
wrong --- dead keys at 'k', 'l', 'z', 'x', ...) (except for keysymbols).

So, it looks to me like three things are happening:
1.  Without the Keymap, the 'keyboard' driver ignores some options and
processes them internally; with keymap, the xkb files are used.
2.  XkbSymbols file sun/us(type5) is probably wrong, but ignored as an
option by 'keyboard';
3.  At least one other xkb/ file is wrong but ignored by 'keyboard' as
an option.  When actually used, it causes keys like 'k' to be dead for
both drivers.

Unfortunately, at this point, I am confused.  It looks like input/kbd.c
sets things up for 'kbd' driver, but beyond that I haven't found where
the xkb files are processed or ignored.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ferris