List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] Disc-Duplication for Ultra 5
From:       Christoph Barlag <gentoo () netcity ! de>
Date:       2004-04-17 20:37:28

--On Friday, April 16, 2004 23:44:24 +1200 Chris Russell <cjr@gentoo.org>
wrote:

> just be sure to run silo as if you were following the install guide.
> (partitions mounted, chroot etc..  pretend you just finished building it
> and are completing the install procedure)
> I'm not sure you'd even need to chroot - you could try (with a live cd);
>
> mkdir /mnt/working
> mount /dev/pathtorootfs /mnt/working
> mount /dev/pathtobootfs /mnt/working/boot  #if your /boot is separate
> /mnt/working/sbin/silo -f -C /mnt/working/boot/silo.conf
> umount /mnt/working/boot /mnt/working
> reboot
>
> assuming your silo.conf is in /boot/, I think it's a good idea to keep a
> copy there as well as in /etc/
> If that doesn't work, do something like this after mounting the
> filesystems.
>
> cd /mnt/working
> chroot /mnt/working /bin/bash
> /sbin/silo -f -C /boot/silo.conf
> exit
> umount /mnt/working/boot /mnt/working
> reboot
>
> I've done that before except I didn't 'dump' the partition, I just
> mounted both disks, made the appropriate directories on the target drive
> and copied the files on one to the other & ran silo afterwards.
> I don't think /dev/shm will have any bearing on it, it's a virtual
> filesystem provided by the kernel
>
> good luck,
> Chris.

Hello Chris,

thanks very much, it worked perfectly with dump and restore, then chrooting
to /mnt/working
and doing a  /sbin/silo -f -C /boot/silo.conf.
What took me some time was, that ftp could not transfer the dump file, that
had a size of around 2.3G. I had to split that to smaller pieces first. I
was not aware of the fact that there is a size limitation in ftp... And
also the "restore" binary is not on the install CD, but its no problem to
copy that from the existing system.

Best regards,

Christoph