List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] error on E250: No init found
From:       Chris Russell <cjr () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2004-02-06 9:55:25

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 20:43, Paul Puschmann wrote:
> > > I completed the _old_ Sparc-Installation guide with the actual
> > > stage3-tarball and made it up to the end.
> > >
> > > My kernel was about 2.9 MB size with statically compiled reiserfs
> > > and permedia2-modules. Everything was fine until the the reboot.
> > >
> > > After the SILO the console backgroud changed to black like any usual
> > > linux console and the init process begun to run.
> > >
> > > The SCSI controller was noticed but then there was something like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > warning: unable to open an initial console
> > > kernel panic: No init found try passing init= option to kernel
> > >
> > > What can I do now and where is the error?
> > >
> > > I will start now from cd and chroot to my hdd so that I can read my
> > > configuration files. If you need to know, I can give you further
> > > information on request.
>
> > a few questions to start,
> >
> > what version kernel?
> >
> 2.4.24-1 sparc64
>
> > did you compile in pseudo terminal support? [ CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y ]
> > is devfs enabled? [ CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y ]
> > and if so, is it set to mount automatically? [ CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT=y ]
>
> I added now the UNIX_98_PTYS Support with the amount of 6 and let him
> compile now. I will have a try when the kernel is ready and go on with
> the usual silo installtion and co.

You'll find you need more than 6, that will only cover your virtual
consoles, you'll need more for ssh sessions, xterm's, etc...  :)

> Here some more questions:
>
> Is SMP needed when I have only Processor?
> Could it be better to use the kernel 2.6 ?
> 	If yes, how would I get and compile it?

SMP would not be necessary for a uniprocessor machine.
2.6 kernels have their advantages & disadvantages (subjective opinion)
should you with to try, you could `emerge sys-kernel/sparc-dev-sources`