List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] sparc-sources-dev
From:       Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows () foobazco ! org>
Date:       2003-12-10 17:02:48

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:18:40AM -0600, Ralph Mitchell wrote:

> Is this functionally equivalent to gentoo-dev-sources?  Right now I'm
> running 2.6.0-test11-r2 on an E450 (4x400MHz) and it seems to be fairly
> happy.  Unfortunately, I don't have any kind of frame buffer, or I'd use
> this system to replace my current desktop.

No, I'm not trying to provide that functionality.  If you're using
another 2.6 kernel successfully, you don't need or want this.  This
kernel is for people who have been unable to build or use 2.6 and want
to test bleeding-edge code to help stabilize the next major kernel on
sparc{,64}.

Here are examples of the things it fixes:

- No SBUS system can use a keyboard
- No SBUS system can receive a character on serial without crashing
- Kconfig is a mess of spaghetti
- FFB doesn't build
- The PROM console selection isn't honoured

2.6 is severely defective on sparc32 in particular, and I'll be
focusing my development efforts on fixing that as time permits.  But
in order to find out how well it's actually working, since none of the
changes are likely to be in the stock kernel before 2.6.1 at least, we
need testers.  So in the meantime I'm providing this ebuild so we can
get moving on testing this type of patch.

> I might be able to get hold of an SS20 as well.

That would be more likely to need the help this kernel provides.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------