List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] Duplicating installation of Ultra5 Machine
From:       Ferris McCormick <fmccor () inforead ! com>
Date:       2003-12-01 12:37:28

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Rob Hartzenberg wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am new to both Gentoo and the list, so bare with me if you would.
>
> I have just finished the installation of a Ultra5 with Gentoo-sparc.
> The installation went pretty smooth and have not had any problems as yet.
>
> Now I am faced with duplicating the installation on another 2 machines.
> I would preffer it if I didn't have to start from scratch.
>
> Is there any way of "copying" the installation across the the other
> machines?
> Perhaps creating my my own version of the stage3 tarball? Using Ghost? Any
> ideas?

When desperate or in a hurry, I have run this script (from / on the
source system to /root.back, which is the some way or other mounted
partition you are cloning to):
====================
#!/bin/bash -v
##
# Clone a running system.  Don't forget to create the
# /proc directory and to populate /dev.
# Build /boot by hand on a separate partition.
# Of course, you have to adjust the new /etc/fstab, /etc/hostname,
# local /etc/conf.d files by hand.
# for D in  etc tmp var opt sbin  bin home lib mnt root usr
for D in  etc tmp var opt sbin  bin  lib mnt root usr
do
cd $D
pwd
find . -depth -print | cpio -pdvm /root.back/${D}
cd ..
done
=====================

It's not elegant, but it works fine.

> I want to do it now, before I customize the installation any further.
> One machine will eventually run Apache, another for Email, and a third as
> fail over for both.
>
> Many thanks
> -Rob
>

> --