List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] v8 hypersparc optimization
From:       Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows () foobazco ! org>
Date:       2003-10-13 19:45:05

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:09:35PM -0400, Kumba wrote:

> With regards to -mcpu and -mtune, 'hypersparc', 'supersparc', and 'v8'
> are synomnous and can really be used interchangably I believe.  Not too
> sure though.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They will all generate the same instruction set.  In theory they have
different instruction scheduling and cacheline alignment properties.
-mcpu=v8 is the safest to use as it probably receives the most
testing, though I don't know of any specific problems with the others.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------