List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    [gentoo-sparc] install gentoo sparc over another dist?
From:       Heitzso <heitzso () growthmodels ! com>
Date:       2003-10-07 16:38:46

KEY QUESTIONS:

QUESTION 1:
Can you safely/easily install gentoo on top of a
currently running debian system?

QUESTION 2:
Or is it possible to create a loop device in a file
and mount it and build gentoo within that environment,
finally copying it out of the loop device and onto the
root filesystem when everything is built?

QUESTION 3:
If running headless via Linux minicom, what's the
magic 'Stop' key?  (I always end up stopping the
ss20, attaching sun keyboard, restarting, openprom
picks up old sun keyboard and hit Stop-A, etc.
then when finished with thrash stop ss20, detach
sun keyboard, etc.)

Thanks
Heitzso

BACKGROUND
====================================

I'm currently running debian sparc unstable on ss20
dual 150 hypersparcs with a dozen packages
generated from apt-build and another dozen
built from scratch.  The box is being used as a primary
dsl-access, firewall, router, dhcp, dns, time server, httpd,
and email via postfix/courier/mysql/sasl etc.

(I know that you're not supposed to use debian unstable for
a server, but I needed the unstable pieces, etc.)

Some of what I've compiled from scratch was to pick up
the v8 optimizations over the standard dist.  And I'ld like
to get more/most/all of the code base over to v8, but
apt-build isn't up to the task (works maybe 9 packages out
of 10).  Anyway, I now have an awkwardly kludged system
that I can't just 'apt-get update' on and have the pieces
updated correctly.

So, I'm wanting to shift over to gentoo sparc stable
in the interest in getting a more current package set than
what is found in debian stable.  (Is that an accurate/reasonable
statement?).  That also gives me a from-source-optimized
system that I expect will make a significant difference on my
system (i.e. ssh, email-ssl, and some numeric apps that I
would like to run on the box).

The box (ss20) has an old Seagate 9G drive in it.
I tried to add another 9G drive this morning but that crashed
and (almost) burned with the hard drives overheating.
I then tried to boot from a debian sparc install cd to use
resize2fs to shrink my one existing large / partition to make
room for a gentoo install partition, but that boot image
doesn't include the resize2fs program and the version
of resize2fs on my hard drive doesn't match to the libs
on the boot cd.