List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] Sparc64 GCC-3.3.1 Testing Profile
From:       Kumba <kumba () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-09-16 17:53:25

Sven Blumenstein wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to setup a new system in chroot using gcc33 profile. After
> fixing the gettext issue the bootstrap went fine.
>
> But my system totally locked up on emerge system while compiling perl!
> This happend twice (repeatable)... but I dont want to toast my Sun just
> to try it a third time.
>
> Sven

Compiling perl you say?  Rather interesting.  Does it fail on the
configure, or during the actual compile?  Mips had an issue where the
machine would hardlock during configure cause of some bad code in perl's
configure script.

Other idea, are you using sandbox when building stuff in Portage?  Check
/etc/make.conf, and see if "sandbox" is in FEATURES.  To test, add
"-sandbox" to FEATURES (or change the keyword to match) and try perl
again.  I built w/o sandbox on my sparc =64 to test this profile and had
no issues, however I managed to lock my mips box up in a compile w/
sandbox, so I suspect a sandbox issue here.

--Kumba

--
"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are