List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    [gentoo-sparc] sparc32 status and rsync questions
From:       Heitzso <heitzso () growthmodels ! com>
Date:       2003-08-18 13:34:34

I have a Sparc20 workstation with dual HyperSparc 150
cpus and 1/2G RAM, HME, etc. that I want to put Linux
on.  The two options I see are debian and gentoo.
I'ld like to try the gentoo distribution but see
the warning notes re 'sparc32 not fully supported'.
I also had a bad experience with setting gentoo up
on a 686 box half a year ago that was due to gentoo
mirrors not copying files over correctly.

My questions:

  - Is the rsync/mirror problem fixed?
    That was incredibly frustrating (for all parties
    I assume).

  - Is the incomplete support of sparc32 due to
    no gentoo sparc developer having a sparc32 box
    to mess with and the port may or may not work
    fine but it just hasn't been tested?

I don't mind helping out and using my box to
load/test gentoo on.  If the core sparc32
installs and runs okay I can aid in cleaning
up or debugging an occasionally glitch, but
I'm not in a position to commit more than a
little time to the gentoo sparc32 port.
Trying to be clear with my communication now
I'll rebracket -- I am a professional developer
and am willing to help out a little if a little
time is enough to pull an odd piece together.

Heitzso