List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Glibc-2.3.2 available on sparc64 now
From:       Kumba <kumba () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-06-18 3:36:31

	Did some research into the little glibc issue holding sparc64 users
back, and after trading some emails with Ben Collins at the main
sparclinux mailing list, it was concluded I needed to look into the
flags we assigned to compile glibc with.  Some experimentation later,
glibc-2.3.2 builds properly for sparc64 targets.

	Basically, we were passing some optimizations to glibc that it didn't
really like.  Gcc could compile any .c files with these flags, but not
the .S files (assembly), and thus you got v9 output with .c, and v8
output with .S files, thus assembler mismatch (This is my guess).

	Anyways, -mvis and -fcall-used-g7 are omitted now, and it does a small
change to the ${CHOST} to change it to "sparcv9" instead of "sparc", so
we generate 32-bit V9 sparc output.  This is necessary because
"sparcv9-unknown-linux-gnu" tells glibc to add -mcpu=ultrasparc
-Wa,-Av9a to both .c and .S compiles, and such, glibc builds fine for me.

	The shortened form of this explanation is this: anyone wanting to test
glibc-2.3.2-r1 on sparc64 can find an ebuild here:
http://cvs.gentoo.org/~kumba/sparc/glibc-2.3.2-r1.ebuild

	Drop it into your overlay, set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS tp ~sparc, and give it a
shot.  You can compare the setup_flags() function of the ebuild for the
differences between this ebuild and the main one in portage to see what
I changed.

	If this works well enough, I'll try and get it added to the main tree
so we can all get caught up to speed.  Anyone feeling gutsy enough to
try glibc-2.3.2-r2 will need to make similar modifications to that
ebuild for this to work.  However, glibc-2.3.2 has a gcc-3.3 dependency,
and since my sparc64 system relies on stack protection, I can't use
gcc-3.3 on it yet.  All testing is welcome, please report any good or
bad results to this list.

--Kumba