List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    boot net installation and outdated install docs
From:       Nick Matthews <nick () efni ! com>
Date:       2003-04-18 18:04:06

Well, I'm somewhere in the middle of the bootstrap.sh part of the stage1 install on \
my newly acquired SS5.

However, the install docs are outdated. When following the docs, I used the \
tftpboot.img files from debian, including bcollins' experimental boot images.

All of these images use a 2.2 kernel.

Now, this may not have been a problem when the docs were written for gentoo, but the \
1.4_rc3 stage1 tarball that I grabbed is compiled using features from 2.4

That is to say that once I have the system booted, and the stage1 tarball placed on \
the drive and unpacked, chroot /mnt/gentoo bin/bash gives an error message: FATAL: \
kernel too old

Many thanks to wesolows on #gentoo-sparc for pointing me to a tftpboot image for \
uniproc sparc32 that has allowed me to boot.

Maybe most people don't  boot using tftp. I've heard some fancy things about this \
"livecd" thing. In my network however, the only cdrom drive is in my gaming box.

All my linux installs have been either from an initial boot floopy from x86 \
architectures, or else by booting off the net for my alphas and sparcs.

Once my sparc system is up and running, I'm willing to help do some work on tftpboot \
images for gentoo.

However, for anyone trying to follow the docs right now, if they try and netboot, \
they will be in for a bit of a suprise.