List:       gentoo-sparc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-sparc] Status of 1.4 Release
From:       Ferris McCormick <fmccor () inforead ! com>
Date:       2003-01-07 13:47:39

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002, Manson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am going to start the thread of what I am doing. Please reply to this email
> quoting contents so we can build a status/task list.

I am not sure what you are looking for here; if this isn't it, just ignore
it.  Anyway, this is feedback on a couple items.

1.  So far, (Gentoo's distribution of) kernel 2.4.20-r0 sparc64-SMP seems
    work fine for me; system identified as follows by "uname -a":

Linux lacewing.inforead.com 2.4.20-sparc-r0 #3 SMP Fri Jan 3 15:56:09 UTC
2003 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc II  (BlackBird) GNU/Linux

    Furthermore, DRI/DRM support for Creator3D video seems much improved
over prefious kernels (i.e., working)

2.  From my perspective, you can add "sparc/sparc64" to the ruby-1.6.8
    KEYWORDS.  I do use ruby on the system referenced above, and so far,
    I haven't seen any problems moving from 1.6.7 --> 1.6.8

3.  From a personal point of view, I have really been enjoying Gentoo on
    this system.  I hope never to see anything like g++2.95.3 --> g++3.2
    again, though.  I am still chasing down newly introduced alignment
    problems, g++ fail to compile, g++ abort-on-exit (such as with the
    MICO Corba system) with destructor problems, g++ -I/usr/include
    problems.  This is not a comment on Gentoo; it is my personal rant
    concerning GNU/gcc:  I am not confident that g++-3.2.1 is of
    production quality yet, for sparc at least.

    gcc-3.2.1 seems fine, though.

4.  Sorry for the off-topic venting on g++.  Actually, this is a very
    stable system, and I REALLY like how the portage system lets me
    keep it as up-to-date as I want.  (emerge rsync; emerge -p -u world
    as a daily activity).

Regards,
Ferris

> Steps to final release: (actual and proposed)
>
> Keywording all ebuilds and testing (actual)
> Keywording all ebuilds and testing (proposal)
> 	Jack (jmorgan) and I have discussed changing the sparc keywords from
> 	sparc = sparc32 and sparc64 = sparc64 to -
> 	sparc = sparc32/sparc64	and 64bit (or similar) = all 64bit userland env.
>
> Profiles updated (actual) (manson)
> Profiles updated to work with keyword proposal (manson)
>
> Stage tarballs created 1,2, and 3 (manson)
> 	Stage 4 will come later (I still need input)
>
> Re-write install script to reflect changes in system and to work from the ISO
> (manson)
>
> Create ISO (manson)
> 	We can have a small BusyBox environment which is enough to build a
> 	system. Or we can have a Stage3 based system on the ISO. (the latter
> 	may not be possible of feasible for sparc32 systems)
>
> 	I need kernel .config files and XF86Config files from all machines
> 	as I think we should either include them on the ISO or in the
> 	tarballs(all stages)
>
> 	I also need kernels to populate the ISO so that users can boot
> 	sparc32, sparc32-smp, ultra-smp, I have an ultra5 so that is covered
>
> 	I also need information on getting serial console working for install
>
> Doc updates:
> 	I re-wrote the doc a couple of months ago and have since been pointed
> 	at some misc. errors that are in there. not too bad for a first time
> 	attempt ;)
>
> I am also working on:
> 	Gentoo UltraLinux Logo and framebuffer logo
> 	ascii art logo (for the hell of it)
> 	ncurses based installer (not mandatory for release)
>
> I am sure this is not a complete list of what needs to be done or of what all
> has been proposed. We need to keep in mind that we are now in the "home stretch"
> as Daniel would like a Christmas release and we need to match that with ours. If
> you do not have any projects please let Jack or myself know asap so we can get
> you going on something.
>
> Laterz
> Rodney Rees (manson)
> Gentoo Linux