List:       gentoo-project
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting on 2022-02-13
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2022-02-09 7:59:17

> On Wed, 09 Feb 2022 08:18:07 +0100
> Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> There is no special time period for making such proposals; future EAPI
>> bugs can be filed at any time. Preferably, they should be filed early,
>> because we've had very bad experience with including last-minute
>> features.

> Agreed on the latter point, but this doesn't mean a simple courtesy
> notice would be problematic.

> Not everyone will be aware EAPI 9 is in the works; in particular, it's
> useful for our downstreams to know and possibly suggest any improvements
> given they're not likely to be as aware of day-to-day developments in
> Gentoo, and it's useful as a final poke to notify people that if indeed
> they feel something should be in the next EAPI (or "soon"), they should
> file a bug and so on.

> I am not saying any such requests must be accepted for EAPI 9. But
> engaging with the community with a notice isn't a bad thing?

> Someone could easily think the next EAPI is years away and therefore
> feel no urgency to flesh out their (possibly very simple) idea or
> improvement.

*shrug* The item is in the Council meeting agenda which is sent to the
gentoo-dev-announce mailing list, so people should be aware?

Anyway, I am cross-posting this to -dev and I include my original
message [0] below. (Sorry for the noise; I still think this is sort of
redundant.)

Ulrich

[0] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/7d63f1d8d52e876a9fa8374d816e7e7f