List:       gentoo-project
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
From:       Alec Warner <antarus () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2016-11-14 0:15:05

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 13/11/2016 23:33, Raymond Jennings wrote:
> > My personal opinion here is that *anything* to do with legal issues,
> > such as legal liability, no matter how theoretical, is something the
> > trustees should be involved in.
>
> I already enumerated the situations that would involve the foundation.
>
> On the contrary of companies that can be sued if somebody hired by them
> harasses or worse another person within the company, the foundation,
> being unrelated to the Gentoo community barring acting as a piggy bank,
> cannot be sued.
>
> There isn't any specific requirement for that and there isn't any
> contract that ties the people volunteering their free time to do
> something in Gentoo with the foundation (since the copyright assignment
> got killed as I mentioned before).

I think I disagree with you here.  However, I suspect the risk is minimal
and can be mitigated by carrying the appropriate insurance. For instance,
if we look at say, Debian.

1) SPI contains the funds for Debian.
2) SPI contains the copyright and trademarks for Debian.
3) Does SPI control the policies of Debian in the same way?
4) What insurance (if any) does SPI carry to mitigate this risk (or perhaps
their lawyers claim there are none.)

I'm not aware of trustees seeking legal council on this issue, so I want to
avoid making metastructure proposals based on laymen risk assessment. I
think if the trustees are worried about risk, they can hire an attorney to
evaluate such risk. If the risk is great, at least we have some kind of
legal argument (e.g. we pursue the meta-structure changes on the advice of
legal council.) So that is how I plan on moving forward.