List:       gentoo-project
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council Elections Results for term 2014-2015
From:       "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2014-07-17 15:13:56

Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2014, 13:49:38 schrieb hasufell:
> Dirkjan Ochtman:
> > On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM, hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> Doesn't that make the vote invalid?
> >
> > I don't see why it would. Maybe if voters would have known in advance
> > that their votes might be compromised.
>
> IMO, it doesn't matter if the violation had an effect on the result. It
> matters that there was a violation of procedure.

Sure it was a violation of procedure.

Problem is, *if* we re-vote, then knowledge about the first vote enters the
decision. Which is a very tricky thing and can easily be argued to make the
hypothetical re-vote invalid in itself.

Unfortunate as the situation is, at least the voters' decision was not
influenced by the later publication of votes.

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)