List:       gentoo-ppc-user
Subject:    [gentoo-ppc-user] Kernel panic on first boot.
From:       Jon Lee <leejadsl () eircom ! net>
Date:       2005-03-09 0:30:39

Hi all,

I've just installed Gentoo ppc64 on my Mac and after about two months of
attempts with the wrong CDs, dodgy internet connections and a panoply of
problems I finally turned on my computer to see two little Tuxes sitting
at the top of my screen.  Finally there is a light at the end of the
tunnel.  However, I get a kernel panic and it says that I need to change
"root=", presumably in /etc/yaboot.conf.

I'm including my /etc/yaboot.conf in this mail as inline text, maybe I
am missing what my mistake is.  My partition map (from memory) goes as
follows.

/dev/sda1 -- Apple Partition Map
/dev/sda2 -- bootstrap
/dev/sda3 -- swap (btw, I read I should make swap 2xRAM size.  My swap
is 4 Gb, is this too big?)
/dev/sda4 -- /  (20Gb)
/dev/sda5 -- OS X (207Gb)

When I boot I get the option of "l" for Linux and "x" for Mac OS X,
however it doesn't boot OS X :(

When I ran ofpath /dev/sda4, my result was:
/ht@@,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0

Looking again at my yaboot.conf which follows, the most successful boot
I had directs ofboot to hd:2, which should be my bootstrap partition.
Is this right for where the 'images' of the kernel rest, or should this
be /dev/sda4?

Thanks in advance,

Jon Lee

====================/ETC/YABOOT.CONF==========================

## Example yaboot.conf for ybin and yaboot >= 0.6
## see man yaboot.conf for more details.
macosx=hd:5
brokenosx

## Change `unconfigured' to your bootstrap partition eg: /dev/hda2
boot=/dev/sda2

## device is the OpenFirmware device path to the disk containing
## kernel images.  if your disk is /dev/hda you can find the
## OpenFirmware path by running the command: ofpath /dev/hda DO NOT
## specify a partition number for this!  On IBM hardware you can
## generally comment this out.

device=hd:
ofboot=hd:2

## partition is the partition number where the kernel images are
## located.  The kernel images should be on your root filesystem, so
## this is usually the same partition number as your root filesystem.
## so if root = /dev/hda3 (the 3rd partition) then you should have
## partition=3  This *MUST* be set correct or yaboot won't boot!  This
## option can be either set globally as shown here, or per image in
## the image= sections

partition=4

## delay is the amount of time in seconds the dual boot menu (if one
## is configured, by the presense of macos, macosx, etc options here)
## will wait before choosing the default OS (GNU/Linux or the value of
## defaultos=).  If you omit this then the value of timeout=
## (converted to seconds) will be used.

delay=300

## timeout is the amount of time in tenths of a second that yaboot
## will wait before booting the default kernel image (the first image=
## section in this config file or the value of default=).

timeout=300
defaultos=macosx
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

## Change the default colors, fgcolor is the text color, bgcolor is
## the screen background color. (default: fgcolor=white, bgcolor=black)
#fgcolor=black
#bgcolor=green

## Password supplied in plaintext, required for yaboot to boot, unless
## restricted is also present (see below). Be sure to
## chmod 600 /etc/yaboot.conf if you set this!

#password=secret

## Password supplied as an md5 hash, see above

#password=$1$saltstrg$HnJ/gcM3oKhNbnzUPgXTD/

## A password is only required to boot an image specified here if
## parameters are specified on the command line or if the user enters
## an image is not specified in the configuration file at all (ie.
## arbitrary file load).  restricted can also be placed in an image
## section in that case any image not including the restricted keyword
## will be fully password protected.

#restricted

## image is the kernel itself, commonly kept in / but also commonly
## found in /boot.  Note that /boot should generally not be its own
## partition on powerpcs, its not necessary and complicates things.
## Make sure /boot is on the partition specified by partition= see
## above.  /boot should never be an HFS filesystem.  You may point
## image= to a symbolic link so long as the symlink does not cross
## partition boundries.

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r2
    label=Linux
    root=/dev/sda4