List:       gentoo-ppc-user
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] bootstrap partition
From:       David =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E9langer?= <dbelan2 () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2005-02-21 15:18:03

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 09:58:01PM -0500, Nick Smith wrote:
> <quote who="Mario Domenech Goulart">
> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 21:20:05 -0500 (EST) "Nick Smith"
> > <nick@computernick.com> wrote:
> >
> >> i thought i read somewhere that G3 computers dont need a
> >> bootstrap partition, im at the part in the handbook where i
> >> have
> >> to configure the bootloader yaboot and its looking for a
> >> bootstrap partition, how do i get around this if i dont need
> >> one? can someone post their config file? this is my setup:
> >>
> >> hda3 - swap
> >> hda2 - root
> >> hda1 - OS X
> >>
> >> please dont tell me i did all this for nothing.
> >
> > If you really need the bootstrap partition, you can split your
> > swap
> > partition.  Probably 800K won't make a big difference.
> >
> > Mario
> but do i really need a bootstrap partition to complete the
> install is the question or is there a work around?

No, you don't absolutely need it.  The openfirware can boot kernel (or
boot image?) from the OS X partition.  But if I were you, I would just
split the swap and reorder the partitions in the table, the bootstrap
should be before OS X in the table (no need to reorder data on disk,
only names in the table).

David

---

David Bélanger