List:       gentoo-portage-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Constraint-Based Dependency Solver for Portage: again
From:       Zac Medico <zmedico () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2019-06-20 20:23:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 6/20/19 12:02 PM, michael.lienhardt@laposte.net wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A few months ago, I got back to my constraint-based dependency solver for portage, \
> that I had to leave for a while. Thanks to Zac Medico, it is now based on portage \
> itself to query the portage tree, and so the code is far simpler (and far less \
> buggy). It is on github: https://github.com/gzoumix/pdepa

Great!

> I still have some work to do on the implementation, and with some colleagues, we \
> are planning to publish it in a conference, with the related theory. However, to \
> have relevant information to publish, I need your help, if you could answer some \
> questions that will come up during testing. For instance, in all my tests, emerge \
> (during its dependency resolution) always replaces atoms with the latest version of \
> the pc that matches it, even with all possible backtracking options being selected \
> (I noticed this behavior because emerge failed installing a package such that the \
> latest corresponding cpv could be installed, while the previous version could be). \
> Is it really the default behavior of emerge, and if yes, is there a way to make \
> emerge consider all matching cpv for an atom?

It's capable of considering older versions, but maybe there's some
deficiency in the algorithm. We should analyze a specific example in
order to understand the behavior.

Maybe you're referring to this code which forces the highest version in
the event of a conflict:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/portage.git/commit/?id=a9064d08ef4c92a5d0d1bfb3dc8a01b7850812b0

--
Thanks,