List:       gentoo-osx
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-osx] prefix ebuild's api suggestion
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2006-01-28 9:35:42

> That's getting into interdomain crap; current intentions (and they're
> just intentions since I haven't yet written any interdomain code) is
> that you define the domain you wish to manage; this includes a PREFIX
> definition.

So if I understand you correctly, the plan is to make "prefix" work first
and add "domain" / "resolver" later?
The problem is that I see that adding a "resolver" layer (which would need
to work at runtime, on a local system)
would not only break portage, but instead any emerged package.

> During resolution, that domain reaches up to the parent
> domain (PREFIX=/), and queries it for what's available and where;
> that's how it would handle satisfying a python dep when you're
> targetted prefix is home (fex).

Is this parent-child relationship really needed? Would it be possible /
feasible to
do a pure parallel relationship. I.e. You have PREFIXES=/gentoo1:/gentoo2
Or a reverse parent-child relationship, i.e PREFIXES=/gentoo:/

Regards
Dirk