List:       gentoo-osx
Subject:    [gentoo-osx] Portage & GNU Tar
From:       Stroller <MacMonster () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2003-10-12 11:04:42

Hi,

I'm sure I read on -dev within the last month or three that one of the
substantial problems with porting Portage to OS X is that many ebuilds
are written to use GNU-style tar options, and that OS X expects
BSD-style flags.

Apropos to a Usenet discussion on uk.comp.sys.mac I noticed today that
on my Panthar (7b80) system:

$ /usr/bin/tar --help
GNU `tar' saves many files together into a single tape or disk archive,
and
can restore individual files from the archive....

And:
$ ls -l `locate tar | grep usr/bin`
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  174636 24 Sep 07:42 /usr/bin/gnutar
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    4899 19 Sep 10:14 /usr/bin/smbtar
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  174636 24 Sep 07:42 /usr/bin/tar

I do have Fink installed on this system (yeuch!), but I assume it is
responsible only for the additional symlinks in /sw/bin/.

So, does this imply that I remember incorrectly about the significance
of GNU / BSD tar flags, or does it imply that Panthar will alleviate
some of the Portage-porting tasks..?

Cheers,

Stroller.