List:       gentoo-newbies
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-newbies] Re: recompile kernel
From:       Dan Stone <dan () headzofstate ! com>
Date:       2002-08-21 2:22:25

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 05:12 pm, Bob Lockie wrote:
> >I'm getting an error recompiling the kernel.
> >I did "make dep" successfully.
> >"make clean bzImage modules modules_install" fails:
>
> I originally took out "Symmetric Multiprocessing Support" (the help said I
> could disable it). It worked when I put it back in.

Looks like you may have some old object files lying around from the last
compile; try the following commands (as root):

cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config /root
make mrproper
cp /root/.config ./
make dep
make bzImage modules modules_install

That should let you compile the kernel without SMP support having to be
enabled =)  Basically, 'make mrproper' cleans out *everything*, including
your previous configuration (hence the copying of the config file back and
forth) -- leaving you with a pristine kernel tree.

~D. A. Stone