List:       gentoo-mips
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-mips] I tarballed a full gentoo system image for the SGI Octane
From:       Stuart Longland <stuartl () longlandclan ! id ! au>
Date:       2019-10-20 7:41:29

On 24/5/19 9:02 am, Joshua Kinard wrote:
> The stages themselves are
> based off of a 20190323 portage snapshot (it takes about 2 months to fully
> build complete stages for six different targets).

Not sure if you're building natively or not… I've found QEMU these days
runs mips(el)(64) targets decently on modern hardware, as that's what I
used to bootstrap mips64el n64 stages for Loongson a couple of years ago.

I'm told the same instructions used today hit a bump in the road
regarding gdbm and gettext bickering about infrastructure ("gettext
infrastructure mismatch")… evidently a bug that can be reproduced on a
straight AMD64 system so possibly not a cross-compile bug per-se.  I
think someone who knows more about those two packages than me could
probably solve it.

I did have a crack at musl, didn't seem to get past first base with
`crossdev`.

Ultimately that might be the answer though, because let's face it, even
the Yeeloong doesn't have oodles of RAM and it's not like backward ABI
compatibility with proprietary glibc-linked applications is a concern on
MIPS.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)