List:       gentoo-mips
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-mips] Please test SGI mips stages
From:       Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-06-30 16:11:45

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Manuel Lauss
> <manuel.lauss@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> If you'd like to help offset the cost of electricity used to create
>>> these and future stages, please send me a private email. :)
>>
>> First of all, thanks for fixing Gentoo on MIPS
>>
>> What kind of machines are you looking for?  I suspect you're aiming for
>> the bigger 64bit machines (SiByte, SGI) ?
>> I'd like to help and I routinely (re)build Gentoo on little-endian MIPS32
>> machines (o32 ABI); but I don't have any 64bit machines.
>
> Great. Thanks :)
>
> I plan to build mips32 stages, but I don't really know much about this
> type of hardware. As you guessed, I'm more interested in 64-bit
> systems.
>
> Are there big-endian mips32 systems worth supporting? My little-endian
> userland seems to be dead and I've been building these big endian
> stages, so I haven't had time to revive it yet.

I think almost every little broadcom/atheros-based router supported
by OpenWRT is a potential candidate;  they certainly outnumber the
available big SGI boxes :)  I don't know which endianness though,
but being networking machines I suppose them being big-endian
makes sense.

My test hardware is bi-endian, but I never ran it big-endian since I've
no kernel for them.  Let me just try and figure out what's necessary..

> If you would, please join the #gentoo-mips IRC channel. :)

Done.

Thanks,
        Manuel Lauss