List:       gentoo-embedded
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-embedded] Cross-compile and libtool
From:       Mike Frysinger <vapier () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2007-12-27 18:45:16

On Tuesday 25 December 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 12/24/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > a nicer method would probably to add a post-install bashrc hook that
> > mungs the installed libtool scripts (*.la) by changing libdir= by
> > prefixing $SYSROOT. ive used this in other environments pretty
> > successfully.
> >
> > sed -i -e "/^libdir=/s:=:='$SYSROOT':" $SYSROOT/usr/lib*/*.la
>
> This is what I've done... As a temporary solution...
> But it breaks the chroot environment...

*shrug* most people do not use the development root as the runtime
environment, let alone do building on the embedded machine.  so such an issue
isnt a big deal.

> I think better is to fix libtool in elibtoolize, so that it will
> append ${ROOT} to the libdir when reading the .la files.

you mean prepend.  feel free to write such a patch.  then again, that too is
not a solution as $(ROOT) is merely where things get installed ... you cannot
assume it is the place to link against things.  it is not the sysroot.
-mike