List:       gentoo-embedded
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-embedded] Building a mini desktop on uclibc
From:       "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-09-19 6:37:43

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Stéphane Lacasse wrote:

> Salut René,
>
> You may want to tke a look at Tiny X which is a small stripped down
> version of X.  I throw this just like that since I'm not sure what your
> goal is...  is it to get the smallest size possible regardless of
> compatibility, or if keeping things running as normal important.  From
> my own experiences with uClibc, you often have to do compromises.  If
> everything would compile ok with uClibc, I'm sure pretty much everything
> would be built using it.  It does compile smaller binaries and there is
> a cost to that.

alternatively look at modular X (currently masked)

> Goog luck and keep us informed of your progresses.  I always like things
> that squeezes the most out of ressources.
>
> Le jeudi 15 septembre 2005 à 21:50 -0400, René Rhéaume a écrit :
> > I am trying to build a mini desktop on a uclibc-based system. At
> > first, I tried to get XFCE running but got into serious GTK+ issues, I
> > broke ncurses during an update and had to start over. With this in
> > mind, I separated the plan into three phases, get the smallest desktop
> > with a basic set of applications, add applications and build other
> > desktop environments (neither GNOME nor KDE, as they are very big).

XFCE runs fine for me, GPE would also be an alternative (bugs.g.o has a
tarball w/ ebuilds), although it also relies on glib2. Currently I am
testing a better iconv() replacement/patch for glib2 that could solve the
glib2 dillemma, but someone will have to apply it to the tree (or we
create virtual/glib2 or glib2-uclibc (w/ PROVIDE: glib2)

Peter