List:       gentoo-doc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: Handbook btrfs support
From:       Sven Vermeulen <swift () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2013-12-07 11:55:32

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:48:52AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> wireless posted on Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:12:35 -0500 as excerpted:
>
> > I understand your concerns. The goals is to do this now, to flesh out,
> > the issues, so when btrfs becomes "stable" there is a simple guide for
> > adventurous, but ordinary users to follow. Also, a dual hope that
> > supporting btrfs, formally in the handbook, become a reality.
>
> That's a worthwhile goal, I'll agree. =:^)
>
> And I really do expect btrfs to be calming down (it is already, it's just
> not /calm/ yet) next year, such that by this time next year, I believe/
> hope my opinion will be different, that it /is/ ready.  And having the
> proposed changes hammered out and real deployment tested when that
> happens is indeed a good thing.  Thanks! =:^)

If I'm not mistaken, RedHat is hoping to include Btrfs as a stable file
system for RHEL7. Although I'm not going to use Btrfs for our databases soon
;-)

Anyway, there is already some documentation on Btrfs on
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Btrfs so it might make sense to improve that
documentation.

Wkr,
	Sven Vermeulen