List:       gentoo-doc
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-doc] Proposal: remove 'last updated' date from
From:       Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2 () wolf31o2 ! org>
Date:       2008-09-15 20:35:43

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 18:33 +0200, Camille Huot wrote:
> In fact, if I understand correctly the terms of use of the Gentoo name
> and logo (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/name-logo.xml), such sites (if
> not illegal by using gentoo in their domainname) HAVE to state
> explicitly that they're not official Gentoo.

That is correct.  An even better solution would be to have the
guidelines amended to enforce an obvious distinction between official
Gentoo documentation.  I consistently have to remind people that
gentoo-wiki is not owned, run, or maintained by Gentoo and has no
official affiliation, at all.

For example, on the main http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page page, the
notice about not being official is *tiny* and almost hidden in
comparison to the other information on the page.  Pick any other page,
such as http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Doom and you see no disclaimer,
anywhere.  While I do not believe that those guys are intentionally
trying to fool anyone, as they've been very understanding and helpful
any time I've dealt with them, it still does a disservice to Gentoo's
users.  By the way, not having the disclaimer on every page *is* a
violation, AFAICR.

--=20
Chris Gianelloni
Developer