List:       gentoo-doc
Subject:    [gentoo-doc] Gentoo Handbook Status Update
From:       Sven Vermeulen <swift () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2003-11-17 19:49:26

Hi,

In the last meeting, the Gentoo Handbook has been approved as "official"
documentation, meaning we can now promote the installation instructions in
the handbook as official installation instructions.

However, for continuity-reasons [1] we need to maintain the installation
instructions as written down in the current guides. This is ofcourse no
problem, we just need to remember that we have to update both guides _if_ the
update is necessary for both.

Don't forget that the instructions in the Gentoo Handbook are more elaborate
and contain other stuff too (such as LVM instructions) which aren't in the
"old" guides. So update the "old" guides only if appropriate.

I am going to update the documentation index page to reflect this change.

Translation teams should start translating the Handbook (as I've told in my
e-mail on October the 31rd). Every chapter is a seperate file, so
managing/delegating the translations shouldn't be totally impossible.

It is now also time to start thinking about the next part in our Gentoo
Handbook. I was thinking about something in the lines of "Working with
Gentoo", which explains how Portage works (every single bit of it... ebuilds,
emerge, etc.), rc-scripts, USE-flags etc.

Comments always appreciated, as usual.

Wkr,
	Sven Vermeulen

[1] And to give the users - and developers - the time to move away from
    saying "read the installation guide at
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-$arch-install.xml" to "read the
    installation instructions at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook" :)

--
 ^__^   And Larry saw that it was Good.
 (oo)                                      Sven Vermeulen