List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Official binary package hosting
From:       stefan11111 <stefan11111 () shitposting ! expert>
Date:       2023-12-31 10:47:43

On 2023-12-30 11:20, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> you may have already seen the announcement on the www.gentoo.org front
> page-
> our binary package hosting finally went "officially live".
>
> https://www.gentoo.org/news/2023/12/29/Gentoo-binary.html
>
> From the announcement: "To speed up working with slow hardware and for
> overall
> convenience, we're now also offering binary packages for download and
> direct
> installation! For most architectures, this is limited to the core
> system and
> weekly updates - not so for amd64 and arm64 however. There we've got a
> stunning >20 GByte of packages on our mirrors, from LibreOffice to KDE
> Plasma
> and from Gnome to Docker. Gentoo stable, updated daily."
>
> If you would like to have a package included in the amd64/arm64
> builders,
> please check if it builds on one of the named profiles without any
> useflag
> changes. If yes, drop me an e-mail or suggest it on #gentoo-binhost.
>
> At this place I'd also like to thank everyone who contributed and
> helped to
> make this possible, from the GPG signature support and Portage
> improvements
> all the way to the implementation on the Infra side.
>
> Cheers & Enjoy! -a

Wrote about this on irc, but I'll mention it here too.
When the binhost was announced, I used it to easily convert a ~amd64
no-multilib system to multilib.
The way I did that was to switch to a new multilib profile and run:
emerge --deep --update --newuse --verbose --ask --keep-going
--autounmask-write --with-bdeps=y --getbinpkg --usepkgonly @world

And all went fine, except for glibc.
The binhost has stable glibc, while my system has testing glibc.
When attempting to downgrade glibc, portage throws out this warning:

  * The specific snippet of code:
  *               [[ ${I_ALLOW_TO_BREAK_MY_SYSTEM} = yes ]] || die
"Aborting to save your system.";

This can be disabled by running:
export I_ALLOW_TO_BREAK_MY_SYSTEM=1

But for some reason it only works when building from source, not when
using the binhost.

So instead of being done with the conversion to multilib it 5 minutes, I
had to
try to fight portage to allow me do do this, give up, and end up
manually copying the needed files for multilib from a stage3(the stable
version, that's what I could find).

I know that going from no-multilib to multilib has, for a long time,
been something
so hard to do that it's usually faster to reinstall gentoo, but that no
longer has to be the case.
I don't see why it can't be as simple as running an emerge command, now
that we have the binhost,
instead I have to do what portage would have done, but manually.

I see 2 ways to improve this:

1. Add ~amd64 glibc to the binhost, if it's not too much of a burden to
build it.
2. Add a way to disable that error when downgrading glibc using the
binhost.
--
Linux-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-7400_CPU_@_3.00GHz

COMMON_FLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math
-funswitch-loops -fuse-linker-plugin -flto -fdevirtualize-at-ltrans
-fno-plt -fno-semantic-interposition -fno-common -falign-functions=32
-fgraphite-identity -floop-nest-optimize"

USE="-* git verify-sig rsync-verify man alsa X grub ssl ipv6 lto
libressl olde-gentoo asm native-symlinks threads jit jumbo-build minimal
strip system-man"

INSTALL_MASK="/etc/systemd /lib/systemd /usr/lib/systemd
/usr/lib/modules-load.d /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d *tmpfiles* /var/lib/dbus
/lib/udev /usr/share/icons /usr/share/applications
/usr/share/gtk-3.0/emoji /usr/lib64/palemoon/gtk2"