List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Migrating ebuilds to "optimized" cargo.eclass API
From:       Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2023-06-24 14:45:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 19/06/2023 18.01, Michał Górny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The migration requires two changes:
>
> 1. `$(cargo_crate_uris)` (or `$(cargo_crate_uris ${CRATES})`) in SRC_URI
> needs to be replaced by `${CARGO_CRATE_URIS}`.  This requires that
> CRATES and GIT_CRATES are declared pre-inherit (this is already enforced
> for CRATES in EAPI 8, but it is not for GIT_CRATES).
>
> 2. The CRATES variable (and other crate lists) need to use `@`
> as the separator between crate name and version instead of `-`.
> The easiest way to do this is to use >=app-portage/pycargoebuild-0.7 to
> generate the variable.  You can use the in-place mode to update
> the ebuild, then it will substitute the list in place:
>
>   pycargoebuild -i foo-1.2.3.ebuild /directories/with/cargo-lock
>
> Note that pycargoebuild won't replace $(cargo_crate_uris) automatically
> though.

I want to add here, that since yesterday, pkgcheck live (9999) is
warning about the "old less optimal" usage and recommends the replacement.

While I know the distrust people have to live ebuilds, the pkgcore stack
is very serious about the live state. As long as you rebuild
periodically the live version (for example using smart-live-rebuild, so
you aren't left with a version from years ago) this is considered
supported by upstream and very stable. I try to cut new pkgcheck
releases every month, but until then feel free to use live.

--
Arthur Zamarin
arthurzam@gentoo.org

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]