List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-libs/glibc: RDEPENDs
From:       Sam James <sam () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2023-03-31 19:39:24

Raul Rangel <rrangel@chromium.org> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 11:03 AM Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>

>> > On 31 Mar 2023, at 17:07, Raul Rangel <rrangel@chromium.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> > I was looking at the glibc
>> > [ebuild](https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.37-r1.ebuild#n136)
>> > and noticed that it contains a lot of RDEPEND:
>> >    RDEPEND="${COMMON_DEPEND}
>> >        app-arch/gzip
>> >        sys-apps/grep
>> >        app-alternatives/awk
>> >        sys-apps/gentoo-functions
>> >        !<app-misc/pax-utils-${MIN_PAX_UTILS_VER}
>> >        !<net-misc/openssh-8.1_p1-r2
>> >    "
>> > Are gzip, grep, awk just legacy from before the EAPI7 era, or does
>> > glibc actually invoke grep, awk, etc? I'm working in a cross-compiled
>> > environment (not cross- packages) and wanted to avoid pulling in the
>> > additional dependencies if they aren't necessary.
>> >

>> I suspect some of these may be IDEPEND candidates for locale-gen.
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/740750#c12 sheds a bit of light. It looks like
> /usr/sbin/locale-gen is a bash script that invokes grep, awk etc.
> Hence the reason for the RDEPEND. What are your thoughts on splitting
> off locale-gen into its own package, or adding a USE flag to
> conditionally install locale-gen?

I'd personally be open to it (without having investigated it) but
I'd need to see what dilfridge@ and others think first.

(The main thing I'm wondering is why it isn't already, as it feels
natural).

Could you maybe file a new bug with that suggestion (and reference
the other one)?

> As for the IDEPEND I put together
> https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/commit/78edfcea3d38d869dff85ff2b2109f53b3137fa2?diff=split.
> I haven't tested it since I don't have an EAPI8 capable system
> available right now :/

I think this looks right, actually. Fancy doing a PR (mark it as a
draft) and I can take it from there?

>> > Thanks,
>> > Raul

best,