List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] Add systemd/merged-usr profiles
From:       Sam James <sam () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2022-08-31 20:43:40

> On 31 Aug 2022, at 21:36, Jaco Kroon <jaco@uls.co.za> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On 2022/08/31 19:38, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM Jaco Kroon <jaco@uls.co.za> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > That really depends.
> > >
> > > If the expectation is that everything in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*} needs to now fit \
> > > on / rather than /usr we're queued to re-install a very, very large number of \
> > > hosts.
> > You have that reversed: the expectation is that everything in
> > /{bin,sbin,lib} will fit in /usr. In other words, we move files from /
> > into /usr.
>
> That's a relieve, but as per Sam this is only relevant to systemd
> profiles, which for some reason I also completely overlooked as per the
> subject.  However, these things do have a tendency to filter through to
> non-systemd systems eventually.

FWIW, our support (as you've sort of noticed before) for split-usr
(Which is related, but distinct, from non-merged -usr) is sort of tenuous
and while it's your right to do such installs, I'd consider at least
not installing new machines with such a configuration
as a way of very gradually phasing it out.

It's often a pain to handle properly. For example,
It's seemingly not possible to (easily, at least, and
portably) handle split-usr (separate /usr, as in
separate partition) in app-arch/zstd with pkg-config,
as pkg-config shouldn't point to the loader script,
but the real library [0].

As you can imagine, these complications together
with other, more pressing bugs, means it is at least
not very high on my list to look into such issues,
even though I do try when such bugs are within
my purview.

[0] https://github.com/trofi/nix-guix-gentoo/commit/8f194519982fbfabb6b3ca84c0806b1a379b5d06

best,
sam