List:       gentoo-dev
Subject:    Re: [gentoo-dev] developing a separate repo spec
From:       Ulrich Mueller <ulm () gentoo ! org>
Date:       2021-03-30 8:18:57

> One reason is EAPI development often moves relatively slowly and many
> potential repo spec features are probably simple enough to
> discuss/implement at a quicker pace, at least initially.

"Relatively slowly" is an understatement when it comes to repository
features. :) It is glacial for such changes, because we have to wait
for at least one year, in order not to break the upgrade path.

https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/7/pms.html#x1-320004.4 says:
"... a package manager must not attempt to use any repository whose
profiles directory requires an EAPI it does not support."

So yes, maybe we should have a separate spec for forward-compatible
repository features that are independent of EAPI. But I think that
incompatible changes won't be possible there and would have to reamin
in PMS. (For example, updating of package dependencies in profiles from
EAPI 0 to EAPI 5 was not forward compatible and required the one year
waiting period.)

Ulrich